Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sex and the City

We saw Carrie and the ladies this afternoon. Yes, we're of a certain age when you CAN go to the movies during the day. My GF even got a Senior Discount! Not the point. I digress.
I loved the four wild and crazy chicks of NYC. Of course they're hot and not real but I still love their city lives. I like their friendship the most. Having good friends keeps me from just staying in bed in the morning.
The movie was about Carrie's marriage to Big and forgiving.
The marriage issue made me squirm in my seat a bit. We're getting married later this year. Why marry? What are we saying by getting married? Will it change my relationship with GF? I really can't answer these questions. I just know getting married feels right. It will make our life together different than it has been. I figured we would spend the rest of our lives together even before the marriage thing came up. Maybe now I will feel less illegit. Does this sound like internal homophobia? I think a lot of us old 'queer as folk' have negative feelings soometimes. Why else would the world deprive us of simple rights if it wasn't that being a dyke was not what a good Girl Scout would be? And I was a damn good Girl Scout!
I would like to think that I don't need the law on our side, but, damnit, it feels good to know we will be deemed a real family. (Never mind that our property will be transfered to the other upon death without having to go through estate issues)
We're getting married in City Hall, too. Maybe I'll wear Manolo Blahnik.

No comments: