Monday, August 25, 2008

Our friend

How does one wake up every morning knowing the day will be filled with severe pain and discomfort? Our friend is very sick and struggles to lay without pain. If I was a religious person I would pray for her to be free of the misery but I'm not so I can only wish her good speed, whatever that means.
Before I get too sad by talking about our friend, Ill digress.
Does having a belief that there is an after life make it easier to deal with dying? I think a lot of folks would just be totally freaked out if they didn't think so.
Susan Sontag's son said that people thought that her behavior in her later stages of her illness suggested she found Jesus and was trying to repent before dying. He said the truth was she was an atheist and was scared about simply no longer being . . just not being.
When I think about it as I go to sleep at night I shudder and try to count doors.

No comments: